RELEASE DATE: October 18, 2011
There’s two kinds of people in this world: those who like “Robotech” (The U.S. adaptation of “Macross”) and those who like “The Super Dimension Fortress Macross” (original Japanese language series) – I happen to love them both equally. I’ll take Hikaru Ichijyo or Rick Hunter, I don’t care. Both versions had an enormous impact on my childhood and my appreciation for this series still holds strong to this very day.
As a child, Transformers, Voltron an G.I. Joe did the job; but with Robotech, there was a sense of realism and attachment to its heartfelt themes of love, friendship, war and death; not to mention, some of the coolest transforming mecha designs ever!
The following is the official press release for A&E’s upcoming Robotech: The Complete Series DVD Deluxe Collector’s Set (featuring ALL NEW extras), as well as the separate sets: First War: Macross aka The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Second War: Robotech Masters aka: Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Third War: The New Generation aka Genesis Climber Mospeada:
A sweeping science-fiction anime epic, ROBOTECH was set at the turn of the millennium, when a mysterious spacecraft crash-landed on a South Pacific island. The secrets of alien knowledge aboard this vessel were unlocked, leading to the development of “Robotechnology” and the creation of a vast arsenal of robotic “mecha” to defend the Earth against the alien threats that would eventually strike, attempting to lay claim to the mysterious power source known as “protoculture.” Told through the eyes of characters caught in a successive series of three extraterrestrial invasions, the saga was the first anime series that many fans had seen, and is often credited with the explosion of anime fandom that continues to grow in the U.S. today.
The cornerstone of a blockbuster franchise that has spawned dozens of movies, books, toys, video games and comic books, ROBOTECH was originally licensed from Japan’s Tatsunoko Studios, adapted from three different series and re-edited and re-dubbed into English. Because ROBOTECH hailed from three completely different anime series, Harmony Gold joined them into a cohesive narrative by splitting them into three distinct chapters, each representing a different generation of the saga: THE MACROSS SAGA (36 episodes), THE ROBOTECH MASTERS (24 episodes) and THE NEW GENERATION (25 episodes). These are also informally referred to as “The First Robotech War,” “The Second Robotech War” and “The Third Robotech War” respectively.
Aside from featuring all 85 half-hour episodes of the original series (re-mastered from original elements for this release), ROBOTECH: THE COMPLETE ORIGINAL SERIES also includes over ten hours of bonus programming:
– The Making of Robotech Documentary – NEW to DVD
– Robotech Music Videos – NEW to DVD
– Robotech Overview – NEW to DVD
– Alternate versions of select Robotech episodes – NEW to DVD
– Robotech: The Movie supplementals (including several sequences NEW to DVD
– Macross Original Pilot – 70 minute extended version – NEW to DVD
– Promotional reel of Robotech Launch in China – NEW to DVD
– Over an hour of deleted scenes
– Robotech: The Sentinels (with optional audio commentary)
– Robotech: The Sentinels promotional video
– Macross Original Pilot – Parts 1, 2 and 3
– Mospeada Original Pilot – Part 1
– Original opening and closing animations
– Galaxy of the Stars – Harmony Gold promotional reel
– Toy Commercial and Videogame presentation reels
– International clips for all three Robotech Wars
– A vast stills appendix containing character bios, model sheets, pre-production art, comic – book covers, and merchandise galleries
– And much, much more!
Voted #34 on the “Top 100 Animated Series of All Time” by IGN.com, ROBOTECH will also be released day-and-date in several additional configurations. THE FIRST ROBOTECH WAR (THE MACROSS SAGA; 5 discs), THE SECOND ROBOTECH WAR (THE ROBOTECH MASTERS; 4 discs) and THE THIRD ROBOTECH WAR (THE NEW GENERATION; 4 discs) will also be available for fans both new and old.